Group Swim Lessons
There’s nothing quite like outdoor summer swim lessons at Naperville Park District’s Centennial Beach! Children ages 3-5 can benefit from Beach Preschool Swim Lessons and kids ages 6-14 can learn to swim in the Beach’s swim lessons designed for elementary age participants through early teens. Centennial Beach is a unique and historic facility located just outside of the downtown area in Naperville. Swimming is an important life skill for anyone to have. Register your child for youth swim lessons this summer at Naperville’s Centennial Beach and give them the gift of safety and the confidence of having fun and enjoying being in the water.
Naperville’s Centennial Beach offers summer swim lessons in June and July.
Preschool swim lessons (Ages 3-5) use age-appropriate techniques and games to encourage swim skills development while emphasizing water safety. Program features progressive levels based on swim skills achievement for children in preschool through kindergarten. Class size generally is 2-4 students per instructor.
- Level 1: participants are afraid of the water, can't swim and won't get their face wet. Participants will begin working on being comfortable in the water and floating on their front and back with support from the instructor.
- Level 2: participants will get their face wet, jump in and enjoy the water and are not afraid of the water. Participants will work on holding their breath under water and front and back floats unsupportive.
Elementary swim lessons (Ages 6-14) is also progressive and swimmers are placed by skill level. In addition to learning swimming skills, participants also learn water safety skills appropriate to their level. Class size generally is 3-5 students per instructor.
- Level 1: provides beginning swimmers with a basic familiarity with the water. Students learn to put their faces in the water, float and flutter kick. Students building trust in their instructor and confidence in themselves is the hallmark of this level
- Level 2: builds upon skills from Level 1. Students add arms to flutter kick and create a foundation to learn freestyle and backstroke
- Level 3: students learn in deeper water in order to learn deep-water safety/survival skills. Skills taught include treading water in an efficient manner, jumping in and recovering to the surface and exploring swimming in deeper water
- Level 4: focus includes refining of freestyle and backstroke with an emphasis on shoulder rotation, adding of an 8-beat kick and bilateral breathing
- Level 5: students learn sidestroke and elementary backstroke in preparation to learn butterfly and breaststroke, which are integral to water safety/survival skills
- Level 6: challenges students to master butterfly and breaststroke
- Level 7: prepares students for swim team by teaching them racing starts and turns
Deep Water Test (DWT) Class: Classes are designed to help students pass the Centennial Beach deep water test. To pass the Centennial Beach deep water test students must be able to swim 100 meters of freestyle without stopping and with continuous proper form. Participants will build on their foundational knowledge of freestyle. Class size ranges from 4-5 students per instructor.
Private Swim Lessons
Interested in Centennial Beach Private Swim Lessons? Please complete the form providing our coordinators with your information. If you have more than 5 participants you are requesting lessons for please complete the form more than once.
All requests will be processed in the order in which they are received. Participants will be contacted within 3 business days of their submitted request but not prior to May 30.
Submission of this form does not guarantee lessons as placement will be based on student/instructor availability and compatibility coinciding with facility hours.
Private lessons may be held at Centennial Beach
Monday-Friday 11:00 am - 4:30 pm
Saturday 11:00 am - 8:00 pm
or Sunday 11:00 am - 6:00 pm with some exclusions and exceptions.
All lessons must be paid for at the time of the lesson at the Centennial Beach Cash House. Lessons will not be provided without proof of payment in full.
Private Lessons are $25 per 30-minute lesson.
2023 Private Swim Lessons Request Form