Back Save to Calendar
Pumpkin Smash @ Ron Ory Community Garden Plots
Time: 9:00 AM
Go Green and Compost
your Halloween pumpkins and Jack-o-lanterns
7th ANNUAL PUMPKIN SMASH
- Saturday, November 4
- Ron Ory Community Garden Plots
- 9 am - 12 pm
- Drop off and let us smash them or smash them yourself!
- Remove all candles, metal, stickers, etc
- Pumpkins must be weighed before they are smashed
WHY COMPOST YOUR PUMPKINS @ the Ron Ory Community Garden Plots?
- Every year, 30.3 million tons of food waste goes to landfills!
- Pumpkins sent to landfills produce methane gas, a harmful greenhouse gas contributing to climate change.
- In a landfill, the lack of oxygen for decomposition causes the formation of methane gas.
- When composted, pumpkins decompose naturally (using oxygen) and don't release this gas.
- Pumpkins are 90% water which is not good for landfills.
- Water in a landfill, called leachate, contains contaminants from the other trash. When it leaks out of the landfill it can pollute our waterways and drinking water.
- Pumpkins are a great soil amendment, adding nutrients back into the soil.
Check out this great video created by S.C.A.R.C.E. about The Great Pumpkin Problem