Freedom of Information Act Requests (FOIA)
As of January 1, 2010, changes to the Freedom of Information Act went info effect. Please note the following:
- The new law changes the time for response to five business days.
- An extension of five business days is permitted under various circumstances.
- Those submitting a request for a commercial purpose must identify that purpose or be subject to statutory penalties. The Park District then has a reasonable period (up to 21 days) considering the size and complexity of the request to make them available.
- The request must be submitted in writing (although the use of a particular form is no longer required). A form is available for convenience.
- The Park District may provide records in an electronic format and must do so if available in such format and requested in that format.
- Fees are not charged for the first fifty pages of standard black and white copies. After the first 50 pages, the fee for black and white copies is $.15 per page unless the actual reproduction costs (for color or oversized copies, for example) are higher. A fee equal to the actual cost may be charged for such copies.
The formal system for processing FOIA requests includes the following:
- Naming of a FOIA officer(s) who will be trained within six months and undergo annual training.
Current officers are:
Debbie Kretzmann 630-848-3605
- FOIA officer will note the date and time the request is received.
- FOIA officer will calculate the five-day response deadline and note it in writing on the request.
- All documents related to a request will be kept until it is complied with or denied.
- Files of all FOIA requests and the responses thereto will be maintained.
How to submit a FOIA request:
Please submit your request in writing to the Naperville Park District. This can be accomplished in a variety of ways:
- Delivered in person or via postal mail to the main Administrative Building at 320 W. Jackson Avenue, Naperville, IL 60540
- Via fax to: 630-848-5001
Questions regarding the FOIA process can be answered by calling the Naperville Park District at 630-848-5000.